Dubrovnik City Walls Tour - Private: The city ramparts are considered to be one of the most grandiose fortification monuments in Europe, . . . and are an example of how fort architecture developed.
The first fortifications were built already in the 8th century, but the most intense construction took place from the mid-15th to the end of the 16th century. The huge earthquake in 1667 did not do much damage.
The ramparts encompass the city in an irregularly shaped polygon, with Fort Mineta at the highest northwestern landward corner of the city and with Fort St. Johns on the southeastern seaside.
Strong forts, such as Fort Lawrence at Pile and Fort Revelin at Ploe, are also part of the defence system, even though they are separated from the ramparts. The ramparts are 22 meters high in places, and from 4 to 6 m. thick on the landward side and from 1-1/2 to 3 m. thick on the seaside. In front of the main wall on the mainland side is an outer wall with 10 semi-circular bastions, in front of which used to be a moat. The main wall has 14 quadrangular and 2 circular towers, 2 angular fortifications and 4 bastions. There are three entrances to the city ramparts: on Stradun by the Pile gate, by Fort St. Johns and by Fort St. Luke, Od sv. Dominika street.
Meeting/pick-up point: Pile & Ploe gate.
Duration: 2 hours.
Start/opening time: At 10am.
End/closing time: At 12pm.